Sunday, June 27, 2010

Mixing it Up

With the release of Cataclysm somewhere on the horizon, a lot of WoW bloggers have been advocating finding new ways to play. Giving PvP or some RP a shot might help beat the pre-expansion blues, they say. For better or worse, I have a pretty high tolerance for repetition. I can eat the same thing for lunch for years, and I believe Naomiviolet, my pally, gained more than one level in her 70’s from only the Kalu’ak dailies and the Dalaran cooking and fishing dailies. Personality quirks aside, my play-style is also somewhat to blame there – some days my only chance to log in is while I’m eating breakfast before work. I’m not going to get very far exploring new areas or quests in 15 or 20 minutes, but I sure can crank out those dailies for my very own Pengu.

A month or two ago, something got me started reading blogs with an RP bent, it might have been the All the World’s a Stage column over at wow.com. With pen and paper, I wrote a couple of very short fic’s about my priest and found it rather entertaining. Still, I was completely unprepared for the blast I had yesterday writing about her ideal way to spend a hot, hot midsummer day. I’d done some general brainstorming the day before, but I still needed to think about where exactly she would go and just what she’d bring with her.

It was so fun to wander through the night elf lowbie area (not having any night elves, I hadn’t been there before), to swim around looking for just the right spot, and to line up just the right screenshots. I don’t play on a PvP server, so it’s not as if I normally worry about getting ganked constantly. Even so, it was amazingly calming to just play and not be on a quest, or trying to level this or that, or keeping four other people alive in an instance. Of course, I did choose a relaxing locale, but its affect on me-the-player was so unexpected!

I didn’t think I needed a change, but it looks like “they” were right after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment